Nov 14, 2012

on the quiet side….

My apologies for my disappearing act.  I posted about my new updated side table for my boudoir and then promptly disappeared!  As Stephanie Tanner would say “How RUDE!” (Yes, I am a child of the 80’s so you are getting Full House quotes. Deal with it).

Anyway, I won’t bore you with the details but lots of life and personal stuff going on.  Work too.    We also lost a family member a few weeks ago:

FatCat

This is my beautiful Fat Cat.  DH and I had him for almost 15 years and he passed away a few weeks ago.  His real name was Connor, but our friend Randy christened him Fat Cat and the name stuck.  He was a big boy, weighing in at 22 pounds at one point! 

I know everyone says that their pets have a great personality, but Fat Cat really did.  He converted non cat lovers into cat lovers.  Salsa Judy was never what you would call a ‘cat person’.  We were raised with dogs and I never had any kittehs until we got Fat Cat and Duncan.  (Duncan is fine, btw.)  SJ always thought cats were ‘sneaky’ and not that friendly.  Fat Cat converted her in less than 24 hours.  His personality was more big dog like—friendly and affectionate.   He always greeted us at the door and wanted to snuggle.  He was a lap cat, even though he didn’t fit in your lap! 

He always made himself at home.  SJ will never forget when he jumped up on the bar stool of her breakfast bar and put his head on the bar as if to say “Where’s my dinner?”  She didn’t think he could jump that high, as fat as he was.  Salsa Judy soon became grandma to my kitties and they stayed with her when we went out of town.  She spoiled them rotten, giving them tuna and treats and Fat Cat slept in her bed.

This has been especially hard on DH as he never lost a pet before, as his parents wouldn’t allow any when he was growing up.  We don’t have any kids, so Fat Cat and Duncan were like our little furkids.  We got them the first year we were married and it’s still hard to believe he is gone.   I won’t get too detailed but his health had declined in the past 6 months very quickly.   Our vet’s office was amazing through everything as well. 

It feels so weird at home without him.  We have a chair downstairs in our game room that is Fat’s Chair.  Meaning, no one else was in that chair except him. When we had company over, I warned them that it was his chair and he would come and try to claim it.  Usually, he would give the person sitting there a look and then climb on up next to them and just hunker down and wait to be petted.  I haven’t had to heart to put his toys away on the chair.

Duncan hasn’t really figured out what is going on yet, which my vet said is normal.  He will look for Fat (we got them at the same time and they are roughly the same age) but that’s about it.  

People have asked me if we will get another cat and right now the answer is no.  I don’t think DH will be ready for a long time and Duncan is almost 15 so I’m not sure I want to bring a kitten into the house right now.  We’ll play it by ear. 

I don’t want this post to be too sad. I miss my Fat Cat but he had a very long, wonderful life and brought love and laughter into ours. 

In memory of Fat Cat, I will encourage you to think about adopting a senior pet as November is Adopt a Senior Pet Month.  There are many older animals who would love a forever home! 

Thanks for reading.  I feel better putting some of this in a post. 

I promise to get a few more posts in soon as well!

1 comment:

  1. Never been to Missyland before. Good stuff. Long live Fat Cat. Tell D I said hello.

    ReplyDelete