Jan 3, 2012

I can haz stuff---no more stuff!

 

Really—I don’t need any MORE stuff. 

First of all—Happy 2012 to anyone reading this.  I hope you enjoyed your holidays and time off.  I know I did!  I had to work a few days but I got to enjoy LONG weekends and got a good bit of things done.  Wasn’t really thrilled to get up at 5am today and fight the snow (it’s still snowing out) into work, but I made it!

As anyone with ADD knows, it is very easy to ignore what I call the ‘chaos’ around you.  You can walk by it day after day and just put it out of your brain.  This drives DH insane about me but it does help me in many situations as well.  I don’t get all freaked out in a tense situation, I am able to put it out of my head and focus on the real situation at hand.  On the other hand, this little trait also allows me to ignore a big pile of stuff for days on end until I get the motivation to organize.  

However, the mess of the spare room/Melissa’s boudoir was even getting ME antsy!  I’ve decided that 2012 will be a year when I get some organization and routine in my room.  I don’t use the term resolution because I know that it will always be a struggle for me to stay organized and not ignore the chaos.  

I have found that for me to be successful with certain things I need to have a routine.  When I have a routine, I do SO MUCH better with what needs to be done every day.   For example, I will get up for work and do the same tasks in the same order as I get ready for work.  Sounds really annoying, but it works for me and it helps me not to forget anything like my lunch for the day, my ID badge, keys etc. 

Another thing that works for me is writing it down.  DH learned this the hard way with me.  I do the majority of the grocery shopping and I write the grocery list down before I leave so I don’t forget anything.  I will ask DH to add to the list and he used to get mad when I asked him to be more specific.  My reply was “If you are not specific, you are at the mercy of what I pick and I may not pick what you want.”   That problem was solved fairly quickly!!!  Winking smile

 

Another place to check out is Flylady.net. I happened upon this site a few years ago after reading about her on a random blog.  Her advice is wonderful and it includes:

  • Declutter for 15 minutes a day.  She’s right—we all have 15 minutes!  I think doing this at night before bed would be best for me.
  • Take regular breaks.  This is especially important for we ADD’ers.  Over the holidays I spent a few hours cleaning up my room.  I would spend about 45 minutes cleaning and pitching before I took a 10 minute break.  I would stretch, walk around or read email.  Then I would get back to it.  This really helps me to not become distracted and wander off to do something else.
  • Establish a routine.  That is one I already know works!  Find a routine that works for you and stick with it!  Have a backup routine too!
  • Write out a list.  Very important again.  I realize that I am all over the place in trying to do a big task.  I can turn into the Tasmanian Devil.  Writing out a list beforehand (even if I end up editing) is a great way to get my thoughts in order and stick to my tasks.

Another motivator for me is browsing Pinterest for ideas on organization.  There are just so many ideas I never even thought of!  Some pics below (credit to source is in the link):

So tonite when I get home, I will write out a list of things that need to be done in my room.  I will also spend at least 15 minutes just cleaning up.   Once I have it cleaned up enough, I will order my Annie Sloan paint and paint the dresser!  

What are your fave organization tips?  I would LOVE to hear them!

Stay warm everyone (as the snow continues to fall here)!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment